Monday, October 12, 2009

'The Fig Tree'

http://www.blogger.com/shamrock%202000@comcast.net

The Fig Tree
HAVA Ben-Zvi
Emily and Danny lived on a farm, and itwas time to plant vegetables, Father plowed the field. Mother, Emily and Danny divided the area into neat vegetable beds.
"How long will we wait before we can taste the vegetables?" asked Danny,
"A few months," his father said.
"That long?" complained Danny.
Danny's moter looked at him a long time, then said,
"Let me tell you a story.
"Long, long ago, the Roman Emperor Hadrian rode his splendid horse by a small hut,
near the ancient city of Tiberias in the Galilee, today Israel. Surrounded by his soldiers,
he admired the fields and the trees around the humble dwelling . His curioes eye caught an old man. digging a furrow.
The emperor stopped, surprosed.'What are you doing?'
"The aged man bowed. 'I am plannting a fig tree,' he replied.
"Had you worked hard in your youth, you would nothave to work so hard in your old age,' scoled the emperor .
"L did worked in my youth and have used my strength well, said the old man, 'just as T use it now, in my old age.' "How old are you? asked the emperor.
"'A hundred years.'
"And you expect to enjoy its fruit?' asked the astonished emperor.
"'Idon'know,my king, if I will live toeat ttis fruit,' said the old farmer slowly. 'But if I don't my children and grandchildren will. My father and grandfather had planted for me, and their ancestors had planted for them. Should I do less for my children?'
"If you live to enjoy the fruits of this tree, be certain to come to my palace. I wish to know about.'
"Several years went by as quickly as a breath. The fig tree blossomed.
"One spring morning the aged man filled his basket, selecting the best,honey-dripping figs for the emperor.
At the gates of the palace he was sttopped by the guards.
The emperor looked through the window and saw the old man, poorly dressed farmer.
"Let the old man into my chamber,' he ordered his servents
"The farmer smiled and bowed before the king.'Do you remember', my king, riding to my field several years ago? You saw me planting a fig tree, and you wished to see me when the tree bears its fruit. I am the man, and this sis the fruit of that tree. It is my gift to you.'
"The emperor embraced the old man, ate of the sweet fruit and ordered the old man's basket filled with gold.
"'Why did our emperor honor an old, poor farmer?' the courtiers asked
"'He deserves it,' said the king, ans he sent the old man home smillimg and proud,"

Mother ended her story. A few months went by.
Emily and Danny brought some newly harvested tomatoes and carrots to their fifth-grade class.
"There is an empty lot behind our school," said Michael. "Could we plant a garden there?"
"That is a good idea,"said their teacher.
"We will plant a fig tree," the class repiled in one voice.
"But next fifth-grades will nuture the tree,"said Michael, the class President, "and the future
generations will follow."
Special thanks to Julius Mann for this weeks illustration.
For more KID's Reading Room, visit latimes.com/kids;
kidsreading@latimes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment